How to Set up Alarm.com with Amazon Alexa?
Now that you have an Alarm.com compatible home or business security system activated with interactive alarm monitoring services you may think its hard to integrate your system into Amazon Alexa for voice control, this is not the case this is a very DIY friendly process.
Learn if your existing security system is compatible with the alarm.com application.
The first step is plugging in your Amazon Alexa and creating your Alexa username and login. Once you have completed connecting your Alexa to Wi-Fi network and getting your username and login follow these steps below.
Follow the installation instructions that came with the device. Now you're ready to sync the device with Alarm.com.
Set-Up Alarm.com and Alarm.com Smart Home Skills
1. Enable the Alarm.com skill
Open your Amazon Alexa app on your smart device > Select Skills > Search for Alarm.com > Enable > Enter your Alarm.com username credentials when prompted > Create 4 digit pin > now your enabled.
Now with the Alarm.com Alexa skill, added end users can ask Alexa to perform these tasks.
Alexa ask Alarm.com to arm stay my system
Alexa ask Alarm.com to disarm my system "requires 4 digit pin that you set up)
Alexa ask Alarm.com to run a scene such as wake up "Scene must be created for this to work".
Alarm.com Smart Home Skills with Z-Wave Automation Devices
Enable Alarm.com Smart Home Skills "This is only needed if you have connected z-wave home automation devices such as lights, locks, thermostats, sprinkler controls, Lutron integration, nest integration or Liftmaster my Q technology etc..."
1) Open your Amazon Alexa app on your smart device > Select Skills > Search for Alarm.com Home Skills> Enable > Enter your Alarm.com username and login credentials then follow the steps listed below.
2) Sync Alarm.com with Alexa
You will be prompted to enter your Alarm.com account login and password to sync your account with Alexa.
3) Discover Devices (Alarm.com Smart Home Skill Only)
Alexa will automatically start discovering your Lights and Thermostats after syncing the skill. If Alexa does not start discovering automatically you can say, ‘Alexa, discover my devices.’ The list of devices will appear in the ‘Smart Home’ section of the Alexa App.
Once you have enabled both the Amazon Alexa Alarm.com skill and or Alarm.com Smart Home Skill you are ready to start verbally controlling your security system using the Alexa network.
Alarm.com Smart Home Skill you can use commands such as;
Alexa ask Alarm.com to arm/disarm the security system
Alexa ask Alarm.com to run a scene that you created that may contain lights locks thermostats and other customized arming features.
Alexa ask Alarm.com to disarm my system
Alexa ask Alarm.com to turn on or off lights
Alexa ask Alarm.com to lock or unlock doors
Alexa ask Alarm.com my system status
Alexa ask Alarm.com to run my Rachio or rainbird sprinkler zones.
To turn the light on or off:
- “Alexa, turn off the Office Light.”
- “Alexa, switch on the Office Light.”
- "Alexa, flip off the Office Light.”
To control a dimmable light (in addition to on/off commands):
- “Alexa, dim the Office Light to 25 percent.”
- “Alexa, increase the Office Light by 50 percent.”
- “Alexa, make the Office Light 25 percent brighter.”
Here are more detailed individualized Amazon Alexa Commands that work with your Alarm.com security system.
To set the thermostat to a specific temperature:
- “Alexa, set the Living Room to 76 degrees."
- “Alexa, decrease the Living Room to 68 degrees.”
- “Alexa, adjust the Living Room temperature to 72 degrees.”
To increase or decrease the temperature by a specific amount:
- “Alexa, increase the Living Room by 3 degrees.”
- “Alexa, cool down the Living Room by 2 degrees.”
- “Alexa, heat up the Living Room by 3 degrees.”
To adjust the temperature to a more comfortable level:
- “Alexa, turn the Living Room heat up.”
- “Alexa, make the Living Room colder.”
- “Alexa, heat my Living Room.”
Did you find this article helpful?